D future ...

Benjiro via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 20 00:41:21 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 at 01:45:27 UTC, Tommi wrote:

> Improve the standard library!
>
> Split the standard library! Forget that no other language does
> it!
>
> Add to the standard library!
> Add to the standard library!
> Add to the standard library!
>
> Improve documentation!
>
> Add to the standard distribution!
>
> Don't add to the standard library!
>
> Don't add to the standard library!
>
> Don't use std.experimental! It's bad!

Yea, great idea... O wait... where are people going to add things
again? O right ... Simply keep yelling add to std when NOBODY
WANTS TO DO THAT. Just dump everything into the one git massive
library with no more control of the author!!!

Did you not read that D has a different crowd. That a lot of
people using D seem to be more into propitiatory code.

No, it does not work like that. You create separate gits that are
part of a D library where the authors can write / maintain the
code. Its easier on them, more easy to maintain because of
separate bug trackers and it fits in with the whole forum std
splits / dedicated forums.

> Don't add anything anywhere!
>
> Don't add features!
>
> Don't work on the compiler or standard library! Don't use your
> skills! Write documentation and learn how to do editor
> integration!
>
> Work on the speed bloat! Wait, what?
>
> Tell people what do do!
>
> Do marketing!
>
> Respond to people on the forums!
>

> Don't add to the standard library!
>
> Work on the standard library! But discuss in a different forum!
>

> Add more forums!
>
> Stop replaying on the forums!
>
> Add more focus!
>

> More management!
>
> Stop replaying on the forums!
>
> Don't tell people what to do!
>
> Do use std.experimental! It's good!
>
> More forums!
>
> Add to the standard library!
>
> Let everyone add to the standard library!
>
> Half of the paragraphs contradict the other half. Walter must
> headbutt himself in the face reading this.

Read everything....

If you bothered reading what i write as a whole, you can clearly
see where the focus points need to be and what is clearly
lacking. They do not contradict each other. Only if you decide to
strip them in each part and then comment like a wiseass.

Do what you want with your idiotic replies. Its this attitude
that drives people away. You want people to help, well this is
NOT the way to motivate people.

Simply keep yelling add to standard library when people do NOT
want that. And no offense but D there standard library is one of
the weakest among the new languages. Yet, there is code out there
where people WANTED to add to the library that is rotting away
simply because nobody here does anything beyond yelling:

> Add to the standard library!
> Add to the standard library!
> Add to the standard library!
> Add to the standard library!
> Add to the standard library!

Maybe you want to freaking ask the authors of for instants
std.database etc why they feel unwilling to add it to the
standard library git. And if you ever did project management, you
know exactly where. People do not like to lose control over there
projects. That is AGAIN why you need separate gits, under the D
lang branch, but where the authors still have control over there
code.

F*ck this. Its like talking to walls. Anyway, do what you want. I
have my own projects to deal with and i can write around the
lacking libraries, documentation etc. Unfortunately, not
everybody can and its those people you are hurting with that
wiseass attitude. Good luck getting new people motivated in D
like that.