A betterC modular standard library?

Timothee Cour via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 20 01:12:55 PST 2016

@ilya: regarding -betterC 's stated goal to bypass druntime:

besides static linking (which can be inefficient), why not use runtime
shared libraries to distribute mir (eg GLAS) to C clients ?

IIRC, from a single C++ program, I am able to dlopen & dlsym & run D
functions defined in shared libraries built with different compilers (eg
dmd and ldc) even if they use GC (and therefore dmd's and ldc's druntime) ;
pseudocode:

// main.cpp
```
void main(){
  dlopen, dlsym, and run "void fun1()" from libfun_dmd.so
  dlopen, dlsym, and run "void fun2()" from libfun_ldc.so
}
```

That would provide the needed isolation without suffering from
disadvantages of static libraries (eg bloat); compared to the betterC
alternative, you'd have access to all of druntime/phobos and not have to
reinvent the wheel