D future ...

thedeemon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 21 03:36:14 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 at 10:18:12 UTC, Kelly Sommers wrote:
> What I really want is what C++ wanted to deliver but it
> doesn't. I want something better than writing C but with the
> same performance as C and the ability to interface with C
> without the performance loss and with easily composable
> libraries.
>
> D in my opinion in some ways is close to these goals. It's
> simpler to understand and write than C++. It has the problem of
> being a GC'd language however and it's unclear to me if the GC
> in D is evolving like the Go GC is. ...
>
> The things I really want from D to really sway me would be the
> following (some already exist):
> 1. Evolve the GC like Go has.
> 2. No overhead calling C libraries.

Bad news: without complete redesign of the language and turning
into one more C++/CLI (where you have different kinds of pointers
in the language for GC and non-GC), having C performance and
Go-style low-pause GC is not really possible. You have to choose
one. Go chose GC with short pauses but paid with slow speed
overall and slow C interop. D chose C-level performance but paid
for it with a slow GC.