Red Hat's issues in considering the D language

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 21 09:49:43 PST 2016

Am Wed, 21 Dec 2016 08:18:48 -0500
schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>:

> > Hello, a few engineers at Red Hat are taking a look at using the D
> > language on the desktop and have reached out to us. They have
> > created a list of issues. We are on the top-level ones, and of
> > course would appreciate any community help as well.
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/ximion/77dda83a9926f892c9a4fa0074d6bf2b
>
> An engineer from Debian wrote down what's needed on the distribution
> side to give a green light to the D language:
>
> https://gist.github.com/ximion/fe6264481319dd94c8308b1ea4e8207a
>

> Andrei

"GDC does not support creating shared libraries at time, which is a big
deal for distros which need it to reduce duplicate code and make
security fixes easier."

You can cross that one off the list.

"GDC only supports an ancient version of the D standard library, which
has many nice classes and also bugfixes missing."

We're at 2.068.2 now. Still old, but good enough to run the latest
vibe.D release.

From a compiler dev point of view I think one of the most important
issues is the stable ABI. Many of the compiler specific problems could
be solved easily if we could mix code from different compilers.