Red Hat's issues in considering the D language

Jerry via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 21 16:09:00 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 21 December 2016 at 21:27:57 UTC, Jack Stouffer
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 December 2016 at 21:12:07 UTC, Jerry wrote:
>> Any other backend would be better. DMD with -O takes over an
>> hour for my project to compile. In comparison LDC with -O3
>> takes less than a minute and produces a faster binary. It
>> doesn't really make sense to increase the workload maintaining
>> 2-3 different compilers when D is already lacking manpower.
>
> A 60:1 speedup? I've never heard of that big of a difference
> before. Especially since LDC is typically slower to compile,
> even on massive code bases like Weka's.
>
> Could you please file a bug with some details?

I ran it again, was a bit over a minute. But still 1 min 30
seconds compared to an hour.

1:07:40.162314 -- dmd with -O
0:01:28.632916 -- ldc2 with -O

0:00:23.802639 -- dmd without -O
0:00:33.818080 -- ldc2 without -O

It'd be quite a bit of work to narrow down what it is and if it
has something to do with how many structures I use or otherwise.
I'd have to try and emulate that with test code as I can't use my
code. Then the issue would just sit there for who knows how long.
It's not that big of an issue, as I just use ldc2 instead anyways.