D future ...

thedeemon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 21 20:10:03 PST 2016

On Thursday, 22 December 2016 at 03:57:10 UTC, Chris Wright wrote:

> You can implement write barriers as runtime calls, but omit
> them in @nogc code.

That means redefining what @nogc means. Currently it basically
means "does not GC-allocate" and you want to change it to "does
not mutate GC-allocated objects" which is very different and
hardly possible to check in compiler without further changing the
language.

> However, this would be costly -- it's an expensive technique in
> general;

Yep, that's what I'm saying. Fast GC has a price on the rest code
speed. Fast code has a price on GC. Unless you separate them very
clearly by language means.