DIP10005: Dependency-Carrying Declarations is now available for community feedback

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 24 11:16:40 PST 2016

On Saturday, 24 December 2016 at 17:53:04 UTC, Chris Wright wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 09:20:19 +0000, John Colvin wrote:
>> There are a lot of templates in Phobos that never use the
>> template keyword. The proposal doesn't only apply to
>> constraints, it applies to the whole declaration.
>
> If you have a better way of estimating the impact, I'd love to
> see it.

Can we hold off on the performance discussion?  Walter says this
DIP isn't hard to implement
(https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/pull/51#issuecomment-269077790),
so we will run some numbers and see what we get.  As you know, I
too am skeptical of the benefit but Andrei has shown that import
fanout has a non-negligible cost with his latest benchmark, and
actual measurement will be the best way to decide.