D future ...

Satoshi via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 28 14:10:22 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 at 19:51:38 UTC, Jerry wrote:
> You don't need the source of the GUI framework to use a
> compiled program. If you are developing both the GUI and the
> IDE, then you don't need interface files. You can just use the
> D source code. Once you compile the IDE no one will have access
> to the interface files anyways, unless (like i mentioned above)
> for third party plugin developers.
No, GUI framework is one part of project like Qt, GTK or WPF and
IDE is an another part.

> That's including all the actual code bodies, you could probably
> write a regex to detect and select them. It wouldn't take as
> long as you think when you start erasing hundreds of lines of
> code with a single backspace. Anyways point is, it isn't really
> a showstopper. You could still have released your IDE without
> interface files to be used as an IDE and you could have made
> the interface files yourself if you really wanted to release
> the GUI.

It's not so simple. I actually must know which functions can be
called by CTFE and which not. auto functions should have stripped
body with replaced auto for a specific type, etc.

Main part of the project is GUI framework not IDE itself. IDE is
made just for simplify GUI development by D'n'D Interface
Builder. Like in VS or XCode or Qt Creator.

Actually I want to release pre-alpha version of GUI framework
just for a few people to show them progress, let them test it and
get some feedback.

I can generate header files and then fix it manually but first I
need a full coverage tests to recognize where bugs are. But
still, patching header files every time when I change something
is not real.