Path of least resistance towards D running on RISC-V

e-y-e via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 31 03:36:47 PST 2016

The HiFive1 [1] is the first commercially available RISC-V system
on chip, programmable in C using the Freedom E SDK [2].

I have ordered one to tinker with and to help learn C properly,
but I think it would be amazing to see D running on systems like
this. I am a novice in low level stuff really, so I wonder what
is the best way for this to happen? I assume LDC is the best
compiler for the job (an LLVM supporting RISC-V exists [3] but
needs to be upstreamed).

What's your opinion? Personally I think it would be a good
demonstration of D as a cutting-edge systems language if it could
be run on resource-constrained RISC-V systems like the HiFive1
(no FP, low memory & CPU).

[1] https://www.sifive.com/products/hifive1/
[2] https://github.com/sifive/freedom-e-sdk/
[3] https://github.com/riscv/riscv-llvm/