DIP10005: Dependency-Carrying Declarations is now available for community feedback

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 31 08:25:25 PST 2016

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 07:23:14 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 12/30/16 11:10 PM, Chris Wright wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 21:13:19 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> DIP1005 can't be in the business of arguing that encapsulation is good
>>> by means of examples.
>>
>> Right. I said we should talk about the concrete benefits of the
>> proposal instead of talking about encapsulation.
>
> Why would the DIP hamstring itself by not discussing its most important
> advantage? -- Andrei

DIP1005 provides concrete advantages. We can productively discuss its
concrete advantages.

"Encapsulation" is an abstraction over a number of features. Many
features can increase potential encapsulation, and this is only one of
them. Encapsulation can provide a wide range of benefits, and this
feature only provides one or two of them.

It saves us no effort to say "encapsulation". We still have to peel back
that label to see what's underneath and evaluate that. But
"encapsulation" is an applause light, so we automatically think better of
the proposal than if we were merely looking at its concrete benefits.