CTFE thoughts & functional approach

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 1 00:15:11 PST 2016

On Sunday, 31 January 2016 at 13:59:06 UTC, Robert M. Münch wrote:
> I like CTFE and the meta programming idea for languages like D.
>
> However, I'm wondering why most (everyone?) is trying to do
> meta-programming using the same language as the one getting
> compiled. IMO the use-cases a pretty different and doing CTFE,
> code-generation etc. needs some other approach. If you look at
> all the strange template syntax, strange hacks etc. it's all
> far from being obvious.
>
> Why not have a CTL (compile-time-language) that has access to
> some compiler internals, that follows a more functional
> concept? We are evaluating sequences of things to generate
> code, include / exclude code etc.
>
> From my experience with the different approaches, functional
> thinking is much better suited and simpler to use for CTFE
> goals.
>
> IMO that would really be a big step ahead. Because you know a
> hammer, not everything is a nail...

I'm not sure what is preventing you from doing that already.
There is compile time reflection (has access to some compiler
internals) and D support functional style.

Unless you have some specific in mind, I don't think there is
anything we can do to help here. t seems you already have the
pieces you want.