TIOBE February 2016.... 15 ?!

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 3 00:34:47 PST 2016

Am 03.02.2016 um 09:23 schrieb Sönke Ludwig:
> Am 03.02.2016 um 08:45 schrieb Ola Fosheim Grøstad:
>> On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 at 07:06:47 UTC, cym13 wrote:
>>> It's all true, D rose up 6 positions:
>>> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>>>
>>> I don't quite know what the leading factor for that change was but it
>>> sure will be great for its image.
>>
>> I don't think anyone takes Tiobe seriously. Here is the search trend for
>> "dlang", "golang", "swift ios" and "rust (programming langauge)":
>>
>> https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=dlang%2C%20golang%2C%20swift%20ios%2C%20%2Fm%2F0dsbpg6&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT-1
>>

>> golang and swift are soaring, rust is gaining ground and dlang is stable.
>>

> Maybe it's showing different results to you, but the numbers I get are
> tiny. Also, picking arbitrary search terms skews the results
> considerably. Results using Google's categorization instead:
> https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%2Fm%2F09gbxjr%2C%20%2Fm%2F010sd4y3%2C%20%2Fm%2F0dsbpg6%2C%20%2Fm%2F01kbt7&date=1%2F2009%2085m&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT-1
>

> Those are still the same tiny numbers, though, so there's really not
> much to infer from this.

So for comparison, D (Programming Language) shows 36 searches in January
2016 in Google Trends for me, while the webmaster tools show 235 klicks
on vibed.org for "vibe.d" searches in the same timeframe (12 clicks for
"dlang"). So the question is what those Google Trend numbers actually
show, it can't be the total amount of searches.