TIOBE February 2016.... 15 ?!

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 3 01:09:20 PST 2016

Am 03.02.2016 um 09:53 schrieb Ola Fosheim Grøstad:
> On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 at 08:43:39 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>> And how do you verify that that's a better classification? If you look
>> at the graphs of any of "D", "dlang", "D programming language", "D
>> language", "D programming", none of them seems to correlate with
>> events such as the date of first publication, version 1.000, version
>> 2.000, the conferences etc.
>
> You have to make a qualitative judgement. Terms such as "dlang" has only
> been in used in recent years and probably only by invested users. It is
> difficult to find terms for "D" that have enough volume to show up. "d
> programming language" is probably only used by non-users, it shows a
> clear spike in october 2004, july 2005, january 2007, july 2014, but a
> general falling trend. While "dlang" is more stable.

I agree with this in general, but the uncertainty is still far to high
to be able to make comparisons between languages. Rough trends maybe.

BTW, this one (using the "programming" category) looks like it could be
somewhat neutral:
https://www.google.com/trends/explore#cat=0-5-31&q=d%20language%2C%20rust%20language%2C%20go%20language%2C%20swift%20language&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT-1

At least it shows the characteristic spikes for each language and the
related searches look reasonable. But the popularity of D pre-2007 looks
odd, and with such a bias it's impossible to read anything out of the
more recent numbers (in terms of absolute value) without wishful thinking.