TIOBE February 2016.... 15 ?!

Martin Tschierschke via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 3 06:14:39 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 at 12:21:05 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 at 12:06:30 UTC, Martin
> Tschierschke wrote:
>> If something is around the corner, you must know!
>
> There are many corners. Some, like the corner of compiled
> languages with automatic memory management and high level
> features have moved a lot in the past few years (Swift and Go).
> It is gone. There is no way for D to catch up with Swift and Go.
May be, I did not start to learn anything about these languages
yet,
so I just looked on the Wikipedia pages, and I am not convinced.
Why? Syntax not C compatible, but for me this is a very strong
argument, because everybody is defining his own similar elements
and after "learning" some
Languages
(Basic,Z80Asm,Pascal,Comal,Prolog,(x86Asm),C,C++,Perl,Php,Ruby
(RoR))
I am quite happy, that D offers a 'known' syntax.
And the opportunity to use it for scripting - compiling very fast
(#!-rdmd Execution).

By learning D, I can write a super fast web applications (vibe.d)
+
stand alone programs for any purpose and even do scripting tasks.

Is there any other language candidate offering the same?

> The other corner, taken by C, C++ and now also Rust, moves a
> lot slower and is in some areas incapable of moving. So I think
> the current focus on interfacing with C++ is the right focus,
> just keep focused on it. D needs to reach parity with common
> C++ features and then do it better across the board.
Sounds right.

[...]

>> And a special second list, where people can vote, which topic
>> of D (language or environment) need to be improved most?
>
> The historical challenge for D is a tendency to spread out.
> Voting is no good, it takes away focus. Then you are back to
> hunting down many corners, and D will remain one step behind.

The voting purpose is exactly to see what are the improvements
really needed, to get this focus. I think, it is not so useful,
that there are already min. 4 different DUB modules to access
MySQL/MariaDB).