TIOBE February 2016.... 15 ?!

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 3 06:34:26 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 at 14:14:39 UTC, Martin
Tschierschke wrote:
> Why? Syntax not C compatible, but for me this is a very strong
> argument, because everybody is defining his own similar
> elements and after "learning" some  Languages
> (Basic,Z80Asm,Pascal,Comal,Prolog,(x86Asm),C,C++,Perl,Php,Ruby
> (RoR))
> I am quite happy, that D offers a 'known' syntax.

What is considered a "known" syntax changes over time though. You
know Comal? Isn't that a danish language that never got much
traction outside Denmark? I remember reading danish computer
magazines in the late 80s that devoted many pages to it.

> By learning D, I can write a super fast web applications
> (vibe.d) +
> stand alone programs for any purpose and even do scripting
> tasks.
>
> Is there any other language candidate offering the same?

Not if you want the kind of C++ style metaprogramming that D
offers. Go is ok for web applications, Python is ok for
scripting; I am inclined to use those for web as they are
supported by Google Cloud. If you want to do everything with one
language D might be closer.

I personally don't see much advantage in using one language for
everything, but some people see it as a major benefit.

> The voting purpose is exactly to see what are the improvements
> really needed, to get this focus.

If the D community wasn't spread out: economic/scientific, games,
web, hobby, professional, educated, non-educated... There tends
to be contention between those that want to see D strive to
become a potent system level programming language and those that
want to see D become a convenient compiled scripting language.
Trying to move in both directions at the same time is bound to
lead to a net slow down in progress IMHO.

> I think, it is not so useful, that there are already min. 4
> different DUB modules to access MySQL/MariaDB).

The D eco system suffers a bit from having eager programmers, but
not enough of them, so you have all these libraries that are
created, but not polished and maintained.