questions about NetBSD port

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 3 21:19:06 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 at 10:21:37 UTC, Nikolay wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 at 06:25:49 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 2 February 2016 at 18:45:20 UTC, Nikolay wrote:
>>
>> You're probably better off porting dmd 2.068 first (as it's
>> the last dmd written wholly in C++), using it to compile dmd
>> git master on NetBSD, then porting druntime and phobos master.
>>  Porting dmd to NetBSD/x86 is likely easy: simply follow what
>> the other BSDs have done, as you did for ldc.
>>

> Is it possible to compile dmd with ldc?

It should be, as ldc compilation of dmd master is tested
continuously by one of the auto-testers:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/blob/master/.travis.yml#L5
https://travis-ci.org/D-Programming-Language/dmd/builds/106867288

> There are some additional changes in druntime for dmd comparing
> with ldc. So even working NetBSD dmd compiler is not full
> solution. I think new platforms will have troubles until we
> have separate branches for druntime/phobos in LDC/GDC and patch
> direction master -> LDC/GDC.

It is possible to do both, ie the changes between the druntime
used by dmd and ldc are not significant.  Using dmd on NetBSD may
require some additional changes to its druntime, but likely not
much.

On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 at 17:36:36 UTC, Nikolay wrote:
> I decided try to repeat LDC team forkflow and cherry-pick my
> commit to ldc branch (druntime). There are a couple simple
> conflicts in src/core/stdc/locale.d &
> src/core/sys/posix/signal.d, and one absent (in master) file:
> src/rt/sections_ldc.d
> I successfully build and run druntime unittests on NetBSD after
> resolving conflicts.
>
> PS
> I created new pull request to druntime:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/1492

So you built this druntime with dmd on NetBSD?