Deprecation policy

Marc Schütz via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 4 03:29:59 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 at 19:25:20 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Now, in this particular case, you're talking about features
> that were warned about starting in 2.067, which was released at
> the end of March of last year. Removing them now would be
> awfully quick. The deprecation cycle in Phobos is two years
> long so that folks have plenty of chance to update their code,
> and older code that's not well maintained has some chance of
> compiling when it is finally brought up to date. So, I'm
> inclined to think that it's way too early to remove .sort or
> .reverse from the language.

Sure, I'm not suggesting to remove them yet, but they need to get
through all stages first, and any delay will push the date we can
finally get rid of them further back. The next stage is
"deprecated". Would that be ok now?

Btw, this is the PR that caused my question:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/1205