Scientific computing in D

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 6 05:53:29 PST 2016

On Friday, 5 February 2016 at 20:13:42 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

> Hi bachmeier.
>
> Hope you're well.
>
> What's the current status of calling R from D and D from R?  A
> friend who is global head of derivatives research in London for
> a bank was asking me as he is receptive to exploring
> alternatives.  It's for research not production so rough around
> the edges is acceptable - provided one knows what one is
> dealing with beforehand.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Laeeth.

Something I didn't emphasize before is that embedding R inside D
does more than open the door to mixing R and D code together in
one program. We now have an interface available in D to any
compiled C, C++, or Fortran library for which there is an R
package. You can call those libraries from D, no glue code
required and using the existing documentation for the R package,
yet it's fully efficient because you're passing a pointer to the
data from D into the underlying library. R code only gets in the
way (i.e., slows your program down) if you want to run functions
written in R.