voldemort stack traces (and bloat)

Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 7 21:27:51 PST 2016

On Monday, 8 February 2016 at 01:48:32 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 2/7/16 10:42 AM, Iakh wrote:
>> On Sunday, 7 February 2016 at 05:18:39 UTC, Steven
>> Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> 4   testexpansion                       0x000000010fb5dbec
>>> pure @safe
>>> void
>>> testexpansion.s!(testexpansion.s!(testexpansion.s!(testexpansion.s!(testexpansion.s!
>>>

>> Why "bad" foo is void?
>
> Huh? foo returns void in both instances.
>
>> Yeah would by nice to auto-repacle with
>> testexpansion.S!(...)(...).Result.foo
>> or even with ...Result.foo
>
> A possible fix for the stack printing is to use the template
> parameter placeholders:
>
> testexpansion.s!(T = testexpansion.s!...)(T).Result.foo
>
> But this doesn't fix the object-file bloat.
>
> -Steve

I think it was Manu who was complaining about symbol length some
time ago and we ended up discussing symbol compression as a
possible solution. Did anything ever come of that? If so this
seems like an obvious candidate for recursive compression.

Nic