Wannabe contributor frustrations

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 10 16:45:13 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 11:30:03PM +0000, Márcio Martins via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I decided to try a couple ideas in druntime and followed this
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Starting_as_a_Contributor#Fetch_dmd_from_GitHub
>
> Everything went fast and smooth - I have a custom built dmd version.
> Bootstrapping and building dmd was suspiciously fast - took around 15
> secs maybe, if I remember right,
>

> I did my changes to druntime, rebuilt with make -f posix.mak
>
> Compiled a test case with ../dmd/src/dmd test.d, but my changes were
> not reflected.

Druntime is not linked to compiled programs by itself; it gets linked as
part of Phobos. So after making changes in druntime, you have to also
rebuild Phobos before you will see your changes reflected.

[...]
> dmd should have a verbose mode where it outputs what it's trying to do
> and with which settings, so I could have a chance at seeing what I
> have messed up, and what linker command it is invoking, ... as it is,
> I felt totally in the dark, and that just adds to the frustration.
[...]

You're looking for:

	dmd -v

Freedom of speech: the whole world has no right *not* to hear my spouting off!