OT: 'conduct unbecoming of a hacker'

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 10 20:57:06 PST 2016

On Thursday, 11 February 2016 at 04:50:04 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 February 2016 at 04:35:27 UTC, tsbockman wrote:
>> On Thursday, 11 February 2016 at 04:27:43 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
>> wrote:
>>> would we be better off if some people that like to argue were
>>> to pick just one of their points and write some code or a DIP?
>>
>> For the most difficult/contentious issues, writing a DIP is
>> just another form of arguing.
>
> Well writing code might be better, but writing a DIP is a
> superior form of arguing to just plain grumbling as its more
> constructive.

And not only is it more constructive but the structured format
forces you to think things through and to make explicit what
isn't in a forum post (which may reduce contention since its much
clearer what you mean).

And even if this were not the case then there are plenty of
things that people like to grumble about but that wouldn't be all
that contentious once expressed in a thought through DIP even if
people didn't agree with you.  Because then its all set out
clearly and it becomes more of an objective technical debate.