An important pull request: accessing shared affix for immutable data

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 12 19:03:05 PST 2016

On Saturday, 13 February 2016 at 01:27:49 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 02/12/2016 08:02 PM, tsbockman wrote:
>> What about providing a way to mark a piece of data as
>> thread-local at
>> allocation time?
>
> Yah, could be part of the metadata. Then after inspecting that
> bit, shared can be casted away. I consider that an optimization
> that doesn't add or remove generality. -- Andrei

I was actually suggesting encoding the shared-ness into the
memory address itself. (No tricks - just allocate shared data in
a separate memory range. This may only be feasible on 64-bit
though, with its over-abundance of address space.)

This way, you can determine whether the (meta-)data is shared
without accessing it at all, just by asking the allocator about
the address.