An important pull request: accessing shared affix for immutable data

ZombineDev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 13 03:43:45 PST 2016

On Saturday, 13 February 2016 at 01:42:08 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> Folks who defined refcounted types use the special
>> AffixAllocator internally in an encapsulated manner. They
>> define it, they use it - outside intervention is not possible.
>> Those who use their own allocation calls and then use
>> assumeUnique cannot use it on the new types. Or maybe I'm not
>> understanding something.
>
> Ah probably this is the important point I have totally missed.
> So you envision this kind of metadata support to be only
> available via specific type of allocator, AffixAllocator, and
> not being supported by most of them?

That's the most important part of the current design of
std.allocator, IMO:
1) allocators are made to be composabled - they only perform
suballocations.
2) allocators are first class value types - this makes them
usable in pure code. Also only `shared` Allocators objects can be
used by more than one thread.