Digital Audio Workstation in D

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 15 03:03:09 PST 2016

On 15/02/16 8:55 PM, Tanel Tagaväli wrote:
> On Monday, 15 February 2016 at 02:31:21 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>> Are you interested in taking ownership of the more basic primitives?
>
> Ownership as in "Only I can work on this."?
> If so, no.

Onwership as in somebody needs to spear head the work ;)

> I have little to no experience with audio I/O, X11 or DirectX/Windows API.
> I'm just a somewhat quick learner, especially when learning something
> can help achieve my goals (in this case, being able to customize the
> software I use to create music).

The major reason why I'm not working on this myself is because I already
have enough on my plate and I have no clue about audio code.
Most of what you need is fairly simple, its just a lot to take in.

> Being "fully D" is not a priority to me, initially depending on SDL and
> later switching the low-level libraries to pure D implementations is
> totally fine.
>
> Once I've learned more about the insides of audio software and the
> native APIs on multiple platforms, I might be able to contribute to said
> audio primitives.
> Until then, Ketmar seems a more suited candidate (already has a
> multi-channel sound engine, Follin[0] in the works (only on ALSA,
> though) ).

Ketmar definitely would not want to work on it. The only person I know
who could is p0nce and he's pretty busy as it stands with his own audio
work.