Speed kills

ixid via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 15 05:51:38 PST 2016

Every time there is a D thread on reddit it feels like the new
user is expecting mind-blowing speed from D.

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/45v03g/porterstemmerd_an_implementation_of_the_porter/

This is the most recent one where John Colvin provided some
pointers to speed it up significantly. Walter has done some good
work taking the low-hanging fruit to speed up DMD code and there
is a lot of effort going on with reference counting machinery but
I wondered if some of the common errors people make that slow
down D code can be addressed?

Literals used to be a hidden speed bump but I think that was
improved, now the append operator is one of the most common
culprits, can this not be enhanced behind the scenes to work more
like append? Do others notice common pitfalls between the article
code and what the D community then suggests where we can bridge
the gap so naive users get faster code?