Digital Audio Workstation in D

SomeDude via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 16 02:14:35 PST 2016

On Sunday, 14 February 2016 at 21:57:38 UTC, Tanel Tagaväli wrote:
> This may be a pipe dream, but I want to create (with the help
> of other developers, of course) a DAW using D.
>
> The reasons are mainly:
> + The design can be very complex
> + Realtime playback is a requirement
> + You can do a lot of things with audio
>
> It would be interesting to see how D could handle a big project
> such as this.
>
> I can't do it on my own, however.
> So I'm asking, is there anyone in the D community who would be
> interested in a project of this likeness?

A DAW is a major undertaking that would test the language
boundaries for sure.

The real time requirements mean that the GC is excluded.

Cockos, the makers of REAPER, have a few C libraries that could
be used, among which a solid VST wrapper and general libraries
that they use in their software.
As for audio, it's also worth having a look at the JUCE C++ lib.