Head Const

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 16 02:31:05 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 16 February 2016 at 01:04:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> 2. supports single assignment style of programming, even if
>>> the data is
>>> otherwise mutable
>> Like 'final'?  We did get rid of that...
>
> Maybe we should resurrect it.

I'm trying to say it politely.
D2 const story is more complicated than its competitors.

Both D1 "final" and C++ const always felt more useful and
practical to me that the whole D2 immutable/const/inout thing.
The current scheme seems to have marginal value in practice, lots
of complexity, and is harder to use well (Unqual, inout) etc.
Constructors can break it. I don't know why we should be that
happy about our constness, maybe someone can explain.