Digital Audio Workstation in D

Andy Smith via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 16 03:21:16 PST 2016

On Sunday, 14 February 2016 at 22:07:27 UTC, Tanel Tagaväli wrote:
> My current attack plan is:
> + Use SDL2 wrappings in GFM as a base
> + Create helper libraries for mixing etc.
> + Create a simple keyboard-controlled program that uses the
> helper libraries to play notes.
>
> After that, a comprehensive design of the actual program should
> be created.
> That is where your input becomes most valuable.

Sounds like a very interesting project. Wish you the best of luck
:-) A few nuggets that may prove useful...

Going after industry heavyweights like Ableton, Bitwig, (Apple
even!) is a pretty daunting prospect. I wouldn't want to
discourage anyone but it will be no mean feat to produce
something that people genuinely prefer using to these tools.
That's not dismissing you at all, it's simply that the bar is
very high at the moment with these tools. There must be something
in the water in Berlin but there's so much great stuff coming out
of there at the moment ...

I'd maybe consider choosing your battles - one very credible and
realistic 'on-ramp' would to be to initially produce something
akin to supercollider with a distributed architecture that lets
you start with an audio engine but defer all the user interface
aspects to a traditional DAW and handle the interaction via
OSC/Midi or one of the plugin architectures.

Another suggestion, if you *do* go the whole user interface route
would be to consider partitioning your user interface code so
that it can be used for other contexts/applications. I'd
literally bite the hand off anyone that were to offer a GUI
toolkit of the quality of Ableton, Blender or Logic's
environment, Max etc. so that I could use it in a finance context
but these tools (even when opensource) tend to be lamentably tied
to the application they were designed to enable :-( ( If I'm
wrong in saying this please let me know I'd be very keen to
hear!) .

Cheers,

A.