OT: Nature on the 'end' of Moore's Law

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 16 03:43:05 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 16 February 2016 at 10:20:57 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> http://www.nature.com/news/the-chips-are-down-for-moore-s-law-1.19338

Good news for D and other AoT-compiled languages, as software
will have to take up the slack.  Software has been able to get
much more inefficient over the years because the faster hardware
from Moore's law would come in and make it all run just as fast.
Now, devs will have to actually start worrying about efficiency
in their code again.

We've already seen Intel and x86 hit hard by the mobile shift,
because they cannot hit the performance to battery power ratio
that Qualcomm and other ARM vendors routinely hit, which is why
Intel has AMD-like share on mobile devices. :) I'm guessing it's
a similar situation for Microsoft with Windows, they just
couldn't get it turned around fast enough for mobile.

This is going to affect inefficient programming languages in the
same way.