Head Const

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 16 04:15:03 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 16 February 2016 at 12:03:48 UTC, ZombineDev wrote:
> familiar with implementation details and even don't seem to
> have any experience in writting large programs in D, because

Of course I don't. My goal for D is that it becomes a solid base
language which it makes sense to build upon. My D programming is
currently only language related experiments on a rather low level
(syntax and basic functionality), I have used D for other things
in the past, but currently it does not stack up against Python or
C++ for production in my case.

It would be nice if it did, of course.

> Otherwise no one will find practical real-world benefits from
> your theoretical ideas and we would just waste time arguing
> with each other, while something practical could be
> accomplished in the same time.

The foundation has to be solid. Clang went against common wisdom
when compiling directly to a low level IR without. Common wisdom
is to compile to a high level IR first. In the case of C++ it has
worked out ok for clang. That does not mean that there are no
benefits to using a high level IR. GCC has a higher level IR at
the top level, and I suspect they have benefitted from that on
some optimizations.

> would bring objective benefits. Otherwise you sound like
> someone telling a car manufacturer that they should be focusing
> on flying cars or teleportation, because clearly that's the
> future :D

No, it is more like discussing the chassis rather than the
polish. Car manufacturers can design many models over the same
chassis, if they put extra effort into it.