OT: Nature on the 'end' of Moore's Law

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 17 11:13:12 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 at 18:24:36 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> I'm thinking more about distributed platforms. We made our
> server support farm configuration, and the customer was happy
> to buy 6 farm nodes and plans to add 3 more. For some reason a
> farm is cheaper than one big iron server?

It probably has to do with yield (number of faulty chips), market
size and competition. The volume was too low for IBM, so IBM
recently "sold" their chip manufacturing plant to Global
Foundaries by paying them $1billion to take it. (a negative price
of $1billion)

High end Xeon CPU (22nm):
E7-8893 v3 (45M Cache, 3.20 GHz), 4 cores
tray price: $6841
price in Norway: $11000

Desktop (14nm):
i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz), 4 cores
street price in Norway: $344

The beefy Xeon has a very big cache and is more reliable, but
slower and eeeexpensive...