Official compiler

Márcio Martins via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 17 14:57:20 PST 2016

I was reading the other thread "Speed kills" and was wondering if
there is any practical reason why DMD is the official compiler?

Currently, newcomers come expecting their algorithm from rosetta
code to run faster in D than their current language, but then it
seems like it's actually slower. What gives?

Very often the typical answer from this community is generally
"did you use LDC/GDC?".

Wouldn't it be a better newcomer experience if the official
compiler was either LDC or GDC?
For us current users it really doesn't matter what is labelled
official, we pick what serves us best, but for a newcomer, the
word official surely carries a lot of weight, doesn't it?

 From a marketing point of view, is it better for D as a language
that first-timers try the bleeding-edge, latest language features
with DMD, or that their expectations of efficient native code are
not broken?

Apologies if this has been discussed before...