Official compiler

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 17 16:35:01 PST 2016

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:57:20 +0000, Márcio Martins wrote:

> I was reading the other thread "Speed kills" and was wondering if there
> is any practical reason why DMD is the official compiler?

Walter Bright is the lead developer, and for legal reasons he will never
touch source code from a compiler he didn't write. And since DMD is
something like twice as fast as LDC, there's at least some argument in
favor of keeping it around.

Should Walter retire, there's a reasonable chance that LDC will become
the primary compiler. However, compilation speed is important.

I'm not sure how different LDC and DMD are, but perhaps you could use DMD
for development and LDC for production builds?