Official compiler

rsw0x via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 17 18:48:53 PST 2016

On Thursday, 18 February 2016 at 02:29:52 UTC, Márcio Martins
wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 February 2016 at 00:06:10 UTC, Xinok wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 at 22:57:20 UTC, Márcio Martins
>> wrote:
>>> I was reading the other thread "Speed kills" and was
>>> wondering if there is any practical reason why DMD is the
>>> official compiler?

>> I pretty much asked this same question a little over a year
>> ago. Thread is here:
>>
>> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mjwitvqmaqlwvoudjoae@forum.dlang.org
>
> I am not proposing a new backend for DMD, that discussion is
> going nowhere. I am considering changing the compiler that is
> tagged as "official", instead.

It would probably be for the best if there was some push to make
LDC 'the' D compiler over a 6 month or 1 year period that
included getting LDC and DMD perfectly in sync(AFAIK there's
currently heavily refactoring going on in the frontend to help
this?)

LDC has the downside in that it's a lot slower than DMD. I've
never worked on the LDC codebase so I'm not even sure if this
could be fixed.