Official compiler

rsw0x via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 18 09:23:09 PST 2016

On Thursday, 18 February 2016 at 11:41:26 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 February 2016 at 10:45:54 UTC, Márcio Martins
> wrote:
>> I suppose it's a lot easier to address the compilation speed
>> issue in LDC/GDC, than to improve and maintain DMD's backend
>> to the expected levels, right?
>
> LLVM has about 2.5 million code lines. I am anything than sure
> if it is easy to improve compilation speed.
>
> Regards,
> Kai

Sorry for being off topic,

Rustc(uses LLVM) has a parallel codegen compilation mode that
decreases optimization for a (major AFAIK?) decrease in
compilation time when compiling multiple files. Would it be
possible for LDC to offer the same thing without a major rewrite?
I'm unfamiliar with the LDC codebase which is why I ask.
Probably worth noting that even with parallel codegen rustc is
still far slower than ldc.

reference:
https://internals.rust-lang.org/t/default-settings-for-parallel-codegen/519