Poor memory allocation performance with a lot of threads on 36 core machine

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 18 23:01:56 PST 2016

On Thu, 2016-02-18 at 17:27 +0000, Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> […]
>
> I would like to look into D's GC and parallelism more. I've started
> on
> mark/sweep parallelism but haven't made any worthwhile progress.
> I'll
> take this as my next task. It's more awkward because it requires
> changes
> to the runtime interface, which means modifying both DMD and the
> runtime.

The OpenJDK folk have more or less given up on traditional mark/sweep
and even concurrent mark/sweep for JVM-based codes (most because there
is still a need for a global stop the world collection at some points):
the G1 algorithms that is now the default has a very different approach
and appears to be a very significant improvement. See for example:

http://www.infoq.com/articles/G1-One-Garbage-Collector-To-Rule-Them-All

and all the Oracle and OpenJDK blurb.

--
Russel.