Running DMD tests on Windows / build requirements

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 21 06:56:45 PST 2016

On 02/19/2016 07:25 PM, Martin Krejcirik wrote:
> How do I run DMD tests on Windows ? I'm not able to, even with gmake.

Unless things have changed since I last looked, DMD's Windows makefiles
are written for Digital Mars Make, not gmake. The gmake makefiles are
for Posix. And don't forget you'll need to specify the correct makefile
to make "-f win32.mak": Since the windows/posix makefiles are separate
neither is named "makefile".

> Also, is it possible to compile DMD with MSVC ?

I don't know whether MSVC works, but the traditional way to compile the
C++ parts on Windows is using the Digital Mars C++ compiler, DMC. So
even if MSVC doesn't work, DMC definitely should.

Keep in mind, you'll also need a D compiler already installed. DMD will
definitely work, and I *think* LDC and GDC are also supposed to work.

> And third question, what are the minimal (by size, not by version)
> VS/VC/SDK requirements to compile Phobos with -m64 and -m32mscoff ?

This one I don't know.