Neovim autocompletion using deoplete

Idan Arye via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 21 09:38:15 PST 2016

On Sunday, 21 February 2016 at 13:36:26 UTC, maik klein wrote:
> Good job, but could you also explain why do you think its
> better than in dutyl? I currently also use nvim with dutyl(dcd,
> dscanner, fmt) and youcompleteme and I haven't run into any
> issues.

As Dutyl's author, I can think of few things:

1) Dutyl requires the user to run DCD in the background. It
provides helpers to start and stop the DCD server, but it's still
up to the user to run them. I did not want to start DCD
automatically when I have no way of closing it when the user
exits Vim. deoplete-d is running the DCD server as a Python
subprocess, so it can fully control it's lifetime.

2) Dutyl is running dcd-client synchronously and parses it's
output in the main Vim process, which freezes Vim. The freezes
are very short - DCD is very fast and there is not much to parse
- but they still exist. deoplete-d, on the other hand, is using
the deoplete framework to do this asynchronously, so the
completions seem instantaneous. This is mainly an illusion - they
should take about the same time(OK, maybe a bit faster - after
all, Python is faster than VimScript), and they only feel faster
because they are done asynchronously and there are no freezes,
but I can see how it improves the UX.