C++ UFCS update

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 23 23:19:02 PST 2016

On 2/23/2016 12:35 PM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> And I have to say that I find it ironic that Walter objects to reusing operators
> such as "<<" while he is reusing "!" for templates,

Hardly. ! is not an overloadable operator in D, and ! has no binary operator
meaning other than for template argument lists. I.e. it is not "reuse" at all.

Furthermore, iostreams' use of << is neither thread-safe nor exception-safe,
though its designer could be forgiven because iostreams predates both concepts.
The only interesting thing about iostreams is why it wasn't deprecated 20 years
ago, despite being ugly, not thread-safe, not exception-safe, and slow.