C++ UFCS update

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 24 14:10:22 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 24 February 2016 at 21:56:12 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> The ultimate validity of the premise does not matter for what I
> objected to. You were trying to paint Walter's position
> internally inconsistent in a very specific way that just does
> not hold water.

Sigh. I am not trying to paint anything, not even a bikeshed. I
am merely observing the following:

1. I've never had any issues related to "<<" for iostream.

2. I am rather annoyed by the inconsistent use of symbols in D.

3. Objecting to "<<" for iostream while using symbols
incosistently yourself IS ironic.

What is and isn't ironic, isn't a matter of «validity of the
premise». It is a matter of interpretation. Not your
interpretation. Mine.

Also, the usability issues concerning symbols isn't related to
mathematical definitions, but is related to the mnemonics of the
symbols, or the interpretation of them, by a human being. Not by
a machine.

As such a useful mnemonic for "<<" is that it is for moving stuff
to the left. Which could work equally well for a stream as it
does for bits.

There is no apparent overlap between the mnemonics for "!" in the
context of templates or bools. Same with "~", which in the
context of C means "flip the bits", with the wave being a
mnemonic for flipping.

I find it ironic that iostream is more consistent with the
mnemonics of the symbols than D is. Deal with it. Don't defend
it. Fix it.