Official compiler

Xavier Bigand via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 24 14:43:07 PST 2016

Le 17/02/2016 23:57, Márcio Martins a écrit :
> I was reading the other thread "Speed kills" and was wondering if there
> is any practical reason why DMD is the official compiler?
>
> Currently, newcomers come expecting their algorithm from rosetta code to
> run faster in D than their current language, but then it seems like it's
> actually slower. What gives?
>
> Very often the typical answer from this community is generally "did you
> use LDC/GDC?".
>
> Wouldn't it be a better newcomer experience if the official compiler was
> either LDC or GDC?
> For us current users it really doesn't matter what is labelled official,
> we pick what serves us best, but for a newcomer, the word official
> surely carries a lot of weight, doesn't it?
>
>  From a marketing point of view, is it better for D as a language that
> first-timers try the bleeding-edge, latest language features with DMD,
> or that their expectations of efficient native code are not broken?
>
> Apologies if this has been discussed before...

Like you said it's only a marketing issue.

DMD will and can stay the reference, but IMO as you also evoke it the
most important thing is certainly to have LDC/GDC more sync with DMD
front-end version because new comers will feel comfortable to use an
other compiler up to date that can also target more platforms.

I am exactly in this case, I prefer to use a compiler that make my code
running on all platforms (android, iOS,...), but I don't want suffering
of staying on an older front-end that will limit me by missing features
or bugs.
So I am using DMD with some frustration lol.

And ldc/gdc need more love :
1. A direct link to download latest version (instead of a like to the
project page)
2. An installer like for DMD that can download Visuald optionally
3. Be auto detected by building tools (dub, Visuald,...)

I know Visuald support ldc, but for dub I didn't find anything on how it
find which compiler to use.