Official compiler

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 24 18:48:24 PST 2016

On 2/24/2016 6:05 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> I've also heard from big users who want the performance more than compile time
> and hit difficulty in build scaling..

I know that performance trumps all for many users. But we can have both - dmd
and ldc/gdc.

My point is that compile speed is a valuable and distinguishing feature of D.
It's one that I have to constantly maintain, or it bit rots away. It's one that
people regularly dismiss as unimportant. Sometimes it seems I'm the only one
working on the compiler who cares about it.

For comparison, C++ compiles like a pig, I've read that Rust compiles like a
pig, and Go makes a lot of hay for compiling fast.