Official compiler

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 24 18:58:08 PST 2016

On 2/18/2016 11:54 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:
> But imagine that Walter
> would have invested all the time he spent e.g. on implementing DWARF EH into
> optimizing the LDC frontend/glue layer/backend pass structure instead. Who
> knows, we might have an LDC-based compiler today that is faster than the DMD we
> currently have.

A big chunk of that was getting D to catch C++ exceptions. And before I did this
work, neither GDC nor LDC did, either. It's not a simple matter of just turning
it on given Dwarf EH.

The point being, a lot of things are not going to happen for D unless I do them.
Many of these require changing the front end, back end, and the runtime library
in concert. It's a lot easier to make these work when the person working on it
understands how all three work.

Once they're done, they provide a good guide on how to get it to work with a
monumental code base like the gdc and ldc backends are.