Unum II announcement

John L Gustafson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 25 06:15:13 PST 2016

On Monday, 22 February 2016 at 18:42:03 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Monday, 22 February 2016 at 17:42:07 UTC, Basile Burg wrote:
>>
>> "Reverse all bits but the first one and add 1, to reciprocate.
>> Works without exception. +1 and –1 do not change."
>>
>> There's magic out there ;)
>
> What I don't get is: is there an exposant anymore? I don't see
> any mention of it.

That's part of the breakthrough: the separation of bit fields
that is so deeply built into IEEE floats, has far more drawbacks
then advantages. That's where all the problems with gradual
underflow, wasted bit patterns on NaNs, hidden bits, and wasted
bit patterns in general, stem from. It is possible to extract the
exponent, in the traditional sense, by an integer divide if the
lattice is one chosen to be self-similar as the dynamic range
increases. The integer divide need NOT be by a power of 2, nor do
you need to do the divide very often at all... think different
about the way we represent reals with bit strings!