D in Ubuntu apps ecosystem

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 25 11:21:48 PST 2016

On Thursday, 25 February 2016 at 17:27:45 UTC, karabuta wrote:
> Maybe you might only be thinking about Android or iOS, but
> Ubuntu Touch (a single Ubuntu OS meant to run across multiple
> devices from PC to Phones) is really gaining traction. The good
> news is that QML is officially the way to build apps and D
> already has dqml(https://github.com/filcuc/dqml).
> Back-end(optional) is also C++ with API bindings in Go and
> JavaScript. D currently has good support for C++.
>
> SIDE NOTE: Ubuntu just lunched a phone with 4GB ram running on
> a x64 Octacore Arm processors in addition to a table with
> similar high spec, which can all pretty much handle D(even with
> GC) IMO. All subsequent devices will be high spec since the OS
> will run desktop apps on phone and even IoT.

But can such a powerful phone handle Ubuntu Touch? ;) The
preliminary reviews for the Meizu Pro 5 Ubuntu Edition, which
you're presumably referencing, are not good, even though the
hardware is spec-ed out, because the Ubuntu software is
supposedly slow and laggy.  I was hopeful for the previous Ubuntu
on Android effort years ago, but it never went anywhere.  I bet
this one won't either.

> So, do you not think Ubuntu ecosystem makes a good and easy to
> enter market? Unfortunately, I don't have the fuel and engine
> power to make API bindings, so anyone willing to help here?
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/phone
> http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/features
> http://www.ubuntu.com/tablet
> https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/apps/qml/

Well, it took us a long time to get on the currently most popular
OS platforms, iOS and Android, and we still have no apps on
there, so I don't think this tiny Ubuntu niche will get much dev
effort.  But if you or someone else believes in and wants to
develop for it, more power to you.