Official compiler

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 25 14:38:45 PST 2016

On Thursday, 25 February 2016 at 19:55:20 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 February 2016 at 19:25:38 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>> On Thursday, 18 February 2016 at 06:57:01 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
>>> If we would make GDC or LDC the official compiler then the
>>> next question which pops up is about compilation speed....
>>>

>> ldc is still significantly faster than clang, or gdc than gcc.
>> I don't think this is that much of a valid concern, especially
>> for smaller programs.
>
> For larger programs, LDC with single-file compilation outdoes
> DMD by a large factor on any recent multi-core CPU for both
> debug and release builds in my tests. DMD did not scale across
> cores anywhere near as well as LDC.
> OTOH, it does not benefit from singleobj this way when doing
> release builds.

Would it be possible to point me in the directions of projects
where you saw ldc being faster? I didn't try per-module, but on
the projects I tried, dmd is still considerably faster when
compiling per-package. And given that per-package is nearly
always faster than per-module...
(http://forum.dlang.org/post/yfykbayodugukemvoedf@forum.dlang.org)

Atila