Official compiler

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 25 19:14:19 PST 2016

On Friday, 26 February 2016 at 00:56:22 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/25/2016 3:06 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I remember you did a bunch of stuff to the optimizer after the
>> switchover to self-hosting; how much of a difference did that
>> make? Are
>> there any low-hanging fruit left that could make dmd faster?
>
> There's a lot of low hanging fruit in dmd. In particular, far
> too many templates are instantiated over and over.

LOL. That would be an understatement. IIRC, at one point, Don
figured out that we were instantiating _millions_ of templates
for the std.algorithm unit tests. The number of templates used in
template constraints alone is likely through the roof. Imagine
how many times something like isInputRange!string gets compiled
in your typical program. With how template-heavy range-base code
is, almost anything we can do to speed of the compiler with
regards to templates is likely to pay off.

- Jonathan M Davis