D in Ubuntu apps ecosystem

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 26 01:25:19 PST 2016

On Thursday, 25 February 2016 at 19:21:48 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> But can such a powerful phone handle Ubuntu Touch? ;) The
> preliminary reviews for the Meizu Pro 5 Ubuntu Edition, which
> you're presumably referencing, are not good, even though the
> hardware is spec-ed out, because the Ubuntu software is
> supposedly slow and laggy.  I was hopeful for the previous
> Ubuntu on Android effort years ago, but it never went anywhere.
>  I bet this one won't either.

Based on my own experience with an Ubuntu phone (it's my daily
driver, and I have the least-powerful hardware of the existing
commercially released phones), I think that the reviews are just
possibly not coming from an unbiased position. ;-)

> Well, it took us a long time to get on the currently most
> popular OS platforms, iOS and Android, and we still have no
> apps on there, so I don't think this tiny Ubuntu niche will get
> much dev effort.  But if you or someone else believes in and
> wants to develop for it, more power to you.

Well, if I understand right, the hardest part of the work (making
sure things run OK on ARM) has substantially been done by you and
others.  Assuming that works, I would anticipate that the major
part of the requirements would be the bindings to the Ubuntu SDK.

I do think the Ubuntu offerings are compelling in terms of how
they restructure the phone/tablet experience, particularly in
terms of how they structure things like the security and
permissions models, and the separation between
hardware-interaction-layer vs. core OS vs. application space and
the prospects there for consistent software deployment (and
updates) across many different devices.