Official compiler

Márcio Martins via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 28 05:31:17 PST 2016

On Thursday, 25 February 2016 at 01:53:51 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 2/17/2016 4:35 PM, Chris Wright wrote:
>> And since DMD is
>> something like twice as fast as LDC, there's at least some
>> argument in
>> favor of keeping it around.
>
> When I meet someone new who says they settled on D in their
> company for development, I casually ask why they selected D?
>
>   "Because it compiles so fast."
>
> It's not a minor issue.

Could we maybe create a quick informative survey,
(surveymonkey?), so we can get a glimpse of why people like D and
what they believe would improve their experience with the
language? Perhaps also why they have chosen to or not to adopt D
more seriously or professionally?

Given that there is such a wide diversity of people currently
using it, I think it would be nice for the project leadership and
all of us in the community to get a more realistic view on this
matter, to better understand what's important, chose the future
direction and what are the real selling points. Right now it
seems like there are a lot of mixed signals even among long-time
users and contributors.