Official compiler

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 28 14:21:10 PST 2016

On 02/28/2016 11:15 AM, Márcio Martins wrote:
> There is no reason why it should be limited to these forums, is there?
> Such a survey should be fairly more "realistic" and "representative"
> than feelings, emotions and anecdotal evidence.
>
> I think it would be interesting and useful to know what is important for:
> -users just starting to use D
> -users already heavily invested in the language
> -users in each distinct usage (gamedev, web, scripts, real-time, ...)
> -users proficient in alternative languages
> -companies of different sizes
> -size of D codebase

Putting the horses on the proper end of the cart is to first make sure
we make it easy to align the three compiler versions together. Only
then, choosing which compiler is more promoted, default etc. becomes a
simple matter of branding.

Márcio, we are a small enough community that we can't enact things by
fiat. We've tried before, invariably with bad results. Of course you are
free to speculate that this time may be different, but it's just that -
speculation.

Andrei